My First Cock Experience



It’s been a while since I last saw a play. Last February 28, I had the chance to see the gala night of Cock, through FILA at Whitespace in Makati. It was nothing I’ve expected. Or maybe I was used to the idea that plays have musicals or visual effects of some sort. It was different, and I loved it! 

Of Gays Guys and Girls


You know those stories in documentaries where a gay man falls in love with a woman? Those are sob stories, Cock is different from them. It’s a story of John, W (Woman), M (Man) and F (Father). How the other characters are nameless makes it all interesting. And the way the stage looks like a cockpit makes all the difference.


John confesses to M that he fell in love with W. He tells him that she’s manly and now M wants to meet the person who stole John away from him. When they were about to face one another, M’s father, F, came to rescue of his son, and hoped he’d make all the right reasons for John to pick who he had first. It’s funny, somewhat insane and you know that this is an “ultimate bitch fight”. 


Cock is Red Turnip Theater’s version by Mike Bartlett. It premiered in London last 2009 and Broadway last 2010 and became an instant sold-out. This is top billed by Topper Fabregas, Jenny Jamora, Niccolo Manahan and Audie Gemora. With the direction of Rem Zamora, Cock is new and fresh, with intelligent banter and will make you fall in love…with a gay guy who needs two hearts. 


This comedy is a must watch for the romantics. The dialogues of John to M and W made him a confused lovefool. Topper Fabregas blew me away with his awesome performance and how he acts out his emotions. Jenny Jamora as W is feisty. She wants her gay and she’ll never give up. Her character portrays most women today. You know, how we would always grab even that little spark of hope. On the other hand, I love how Niccolo Manahan’s “M”, overpowers John, every single time. He always know the right words to describe John and he would put up a good fight, in a heartbeat. As expected, the brilliant Audie Gemora created havoc among the characters. His presence made everything more funny and confusing for the three. Overall, I enjoyed my first Cock experience. I laughed, cried, and even did both at the same time. I was able to relate to John and how he’s such a romantic. I felt like I was W, when she was pleading John to choose her, because maybe at one time, I was like her. All thumbs up to the brilliance of Rem Zamora, for I know he was able to capture the realness of the story.

Cock will be staged at Whitespace — 2314 Chino Roces Ave. Extension (formerly Pasong Tamo Extension), Makati — on March 7, 14, 21, 28 and April 4 (Friday, 9 p.m.); March 8, 15, 29 and April 5 (Saturday, 8 p.m.); April 5, Saturday at 4 p.m.; March 9, 16, 23 and April 6 (Sunday, 4 p.m.) and special closing gala on April 6, Sunday, 8 p.m.


You may get your tickets through TicketWorld (891-9999 or www.ticketworld.com.ph) or Red Turnip Theater (redturniptheater@gmail.com or https://www.facebook.com/RedTurnipTheater)

Post a Comment

0 Comments